- This event has passed.
Main Street Theater
February 26 @ 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Cost: $210 / Sessions: 10 / Our classes emphasize creativity and collaboration, and each day’s class features theater activities designed to work on students’ focus, listening skills, memory, response, rhythm, relaxation, coordination, and imagination. These activities are games that adult actors play throughout their career! There will be a final performance, but it will represent just the tip of the iceberg of activities and skills your student has been developing. The class will be creating a short adaptation of a book they choose.
We hope that our theater classes will:
- give kids the opportunity to be proud of their original writing, acting, and artwork as they bring their creation to life on stage;
- give every original idea (no matter how crazy it sounds!) a fair hearing;
- foster a lifelong interest in the performing arts;
- reinforce attributes valued in any profession, such as creativity, observation, self-confidence, communication, promise-keeping, leadership, and teamwork;
- give kids a chance to take risks, be bold and silly, and have fun!
Though theater class is a great place to have fun, we do have expectations for both students and parents. Students will be taking the Main Street Theater Pledge in class, which asks them to make three promises to their class/team. We have attached a copy to this letter. We, along with your students’ teachers, ask that parents support and guide their children in the keeping of their pledge. It will help their confidence greatly if you can be vocal in supporting them to value their own ideas and resources in creating their final piece, and in fostering collaboration rather than competition among team members. Every student will be challenged, and every student will be featured in the final performance.
Here’s hoping for a productive, fun semester—and we are looking forward to seeing all of you at the final performance!