The Student Support Team (SST) is one of the important ways Beth Yeshurun Day School ensures that all our students receive accurate and successful educational support services.
The Student Support team is comprised of the Head of School, Elementary School Principal, Early Childhood Principal, School Counselor, Student Support Coordinator, and Learning Specialist. The Learning Specialist will be the Director of the Student Support Team. Other professionals can be asked to join these meetings on a case-by-case basis.
A weekly meeting is held to discuss students who need support in some capacity – be it academic (enrichment and remedial), behavioral, or emotional – in order to be successful in school. The following describes the process of referring students for educational support services.
1. Teacher or parent refers student by completing the student referral form. These forms are kept in the teacher’s lounge and can be placed in the box attached to a wall next to the counselor’s room when completed.
2. The Student Support Coordinator contacts the person making the referral, clarifies information as needed, and communicates when the next Student Support Team meeting will be held to discuss the referral.
3. The Student Support Team meets to discuss the referral and decides on what form of action needs to be taken. The following are some common steps taken if necessary:
- Checklists distributed to teachers and parents
- Classroom Observation
- Meeting with parents
- Referral to outside resources including for diagnostic evaluation
- Schedule of weekly classes with the Director of Student Support and/or Student Support staff
4. Student Support Coordinator communicates what actions will be taken to both teachers and parents and implements these actions.
5. The student continues to be discussed at future Student Support Team meetings to monitor progress and ensure that the child is being supported to the best of our abilities and resources.
6. If it is found that the child requires accommodations to the curriculum and/or delivery of instruction, the teachers will receive an accommodation and modification form outlining necessary modifications as feasible. As a school community we will make reasonable efforts to ensure enrichment and support for your child. However, it should be noted that there are some accommodations that BYDS may not be able to provide.
7. It is the Director of Student Support’s responsibility to ensure that the teachers are implementing the appropriate supports as feasible to ensure a successful learning environment for all our students.
If you have any questions, please contact Head of School Dr. Dan Ahlstrom at email@example.com